Skip to Main Content

The University of Tennessee

Ready for the World

Frequently Used Tools:



Spotlights


Ready for the World Banner Image. Are you ready?


Where in the World is Smokey?

Conducting Neutron Experiments


In October 2007, William Brad O'Dell, a junior in College Scholars, traveled to the ISIS Pulsed Neutron & Muon Source in Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Didcot, United Kingdom, to help perform inelastic neutron scattering experiments. The work was part of his individual program in the Arts and Sciences College Scholars Program, which focuses on chemistry and structural characterization in chemistry.

"I am standing at the sample area for the MARI neutron spectrometer at the ISIS Facility … I was part of an experimental team using the instrument to measure the energy absorption spectra of amino acid samples."

"Smokey and I are holding a cryostat center stick with my sample attached and ready to be placed into the neutron beam. In the picture you can see the 'beam on' light which, to my benefit, isn't illuminated. I threw my ID card and dosimeter over my shoulder so as not to obscure Smokey."

Labels: ,


• • •

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

« Home

Bottom border of background image